Monday, February 21, 2011

fierce: on and off screen

BEING HUMAN WAS A-MA-ZING!

The season premiere aired just this past Friday and I'm still raving about it. It's so rare to find a show that is written, acted, and directed so well as Being Human. I truly hope everyone who reads this may have a chance to watch this show. Plus the British accents are quite awesome as well. ;)

Anyways, I've been reading Tim Gunn's book titled, "Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style." Most of you most likely know him as the helpful instructor from Project Runway. One of the sections from his book that really intrigued me was all about fashion mentors. These are people who inspire your style and you can relate to them. I've noticed from friends and such that people tend to copy celebrities styles, rather than create they're own outfits that pay homage to they're style mentor. Note: a mentor does not have to be super  famous.
As I was pondering who my style mentor would be, many people came up, such as Zooey Deschanel, Anna Paquin, Lenora Crichlow, and even Lady Gaga.

Zooey Deschanel has been in some of my fave movies, like Elf, 500 Days of Summer, and Tin Man. I love her 50s style and, of course, her adorable hairstyle. I love that retro look!

Anna Paquin's southern style on True Blood is really cute, but I also love her red carpet looks. She has worn several Alexander McQueen looks, including the one shown above, and always seems to take fashion risks. She's the kind of person who doesn't care what any fashion critic says, because she knows she looks good.

I couldn't help but put Lenora Crichlow from Being Human in here. Like my other fashion mentors, she has taken risks and worn an awesome McQueen dress. Also, she's not super skinny like many actresses tend to be, and she knows how to dress her body well. Gotta love the brits!

Perhaps one of the biggest risk takers ever known, Lady Gaga always influences me greatly. She seriously doesn't care what people think about her style. I personally am always fascinated by her outfits. It's funny how people say they dislike what she wears and blah blah blah blah, but are they fashion risk-takers? I think not. If they really cared so much about what Gaga wears, they would've been her stylist.

And as my rant comes to an end, I urge you to find your fashion mentors. It seems like a great task to complete, but really it's quite fun! I found out quite some about myself and my mentors through my research.
Good Luck! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment